Nicholas had surgery to clear a clogged tear duct. We had to get to the hospital by 6 a.m. The surgery didn't start until about 7:40, so we had some time to kill. It's hard to find things to entertain a 13 month old with at a hospital. We spent a lot of time talking on the phone and putting the hospital socks on his hands just so he could take them off. The doctor, nurses and anestesiologist were great with Nicholas. I had to dress in some white coveralls, but they let me go into the operating room while he was put to sleep. The surgery itself was very quick. The doctor came to get me as soon as it was over and let me go into the recovery room, where I found him screaming in one of the nurses arms. They said that is a common reaction when babies wake from anestesia. It took longer than expected, but after about 15 mins he calmed down. The doctor said that Nicholas' eye would have never cleared up on it's own, regardless of how much we massaged it or put ointments in his eye. His was an underdeveloped tear duct and after they probed it they inserted a stent into his eye. The stent, which looks like a red thread, goes from the the corner of his eye and down into his nose. What it does is it keeps the tear duct open, so the tears can drain properly. He doesn't notice it, and they hope it will stay in for about 6 weeks. I felt a little silly at first bringing out my camera at the hospital, but then I noticed that all the other parents had their camera too, and were taking pictures.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
I'm so glad he's okay. I couldn't imagine doing surgery with a little one, no matter how simple the procedure might be. Way to be a brave Mom!
Post a Comment